Discovering the Argentinean grain chain
A delegation of European flour millers went to Buenos-Aires in September 2017. Argentina is one of the world's biggest exporters of wheat and wheat flour and it has the highest per capita wheat consumption in South America. Since December 2015, its new policy package is expected to lead to a strong rebound on the world markets over the coming years.
Meeting with local stakeholders
- The Argentina agricultural policy: the ambitions for wheat and perspectives for the future by Jesús Silveyra, Subsecretario de Mercados Agropecuarios, Argentina Ministry of Agriculture
- Overview of the Argentina economic & trade situation: what you need to know (in Spanish) by Martin Pouliot, Head of the Economic & Trade Section, EU Delegation in Argentina
- Argentina is back to the world markets by Leandro Pierbattisti, Federation of Country Elevators Associations & former Chief Economist at France Export Céréales
- Importing wheat from Argentina by Guillermo Garcia, Centro Exportadores de Cereales Board Director (CIARA-CEC) & Responsible for Institutional Relations at BUNGE Argentina
- Presentation of the Argentina flour milling industry by Diego Cifarelli, President of the Federation of the Argentinian flour milling industry (FAIM)
- The Syngenta Quality Wheat program in Argentina by Hugo Ochoa, responsible for the Syngenta Quality Wheat program at SYNGENTA Argentina
The wheat value chain: exchange with ARGENTRIGO & the Bolsa de Cereales
2017/18 would be the second year in a row in which wheat area increases as result of the policies put in place by President Macri’s administration in mid-December 2015. The government decided to eliminate the 23% export tax on wheat, eliminate distortions in the domestic market through export limitations and allow a strong devaluation of the local currency. ARGENTRIGO presented the Argentinian wheat value chain. As outlined during the meeting with the Bolsa de Cereales, the Argentine wheat farming community responded rapidly to the new economic & political framework. As a consequence, the quality of wheat in Argentina is now increasing every year since 2015.
Argentina market information & transparency
To achieve more open markets and fair trade, but also improve the functioning of the agricultural commodities derivatives markets, the Agroindustry Ministry of Argentina set up the SIO-Granos monitor. The "SioGranos-Mobile" app is available to all operators and can be downloaded to your mobile.
Visit of a wheat field
During their visit, millers were explained by the Compañia team the silo bag technology. Silo bags are heavy plastic tubes, usually around 2.4 to 3.6 m in diameter, and of variable length as required for the amount of material to be stored. They are packed using a machine made for the purpose, and sealed on both ends. The bag is discarded in sections as it is torn off. Bag silos require little capital investment. They can be used for wheat as a temporary measure when growth or harvest conditions require more space, though some farms use them every year.
Visit of AFA SCL and Cañuelas flour milling plants
Agricultores Federados Argentinos SCL (AFA) is the leading agricultural cooperative in Argentina and one of the largest and most active in Latin America with its 36 000 associated farmers. Millers visited its first brand new mill inaugurated in December 2016.
Molino Cañuelas produces different types of flours and premixes, edible oils, cookies, biscuits, pastas and frozen foods, among other products, with very important trademarks such as Pureza, Cañuelas and 9 de Oro, all of them recognized in Argentina and in the entire region. The Company sources every year more than 2 million tons of grains & oilseeds.
Visit of an industrial bakery plant
Grupo Bimbo, known as Bimbo, is a Mexican multinational bakery product manufacturing company headquartered in Mexico City. It is the world's largest baking company and operates the largest bakeries in the United States, Mexico, Canada, Chile and Spain, and has some of the widest distribution networks in Mexico and the United States.